Believing the Church can be more than we know. Dreaming toward all God can do... even through us!

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Nothing.

The guys who first followed Jesus around must have gotten used to having their egos deflated on a pretty regular basis. I think I'm a pretty normal guy, and so I'm guessing at least a few of those first disciples thought like I do, which is to say that every once in a while they might have thought themselves to be a bit better than they were. This is a dangerous tendency for anyone, but especially if you're trying to follow Jesus. He has this way (often not so subtle) of helping us to form more sober estimations of ourselves. Just think about John 15:5 - Apart from me you can do nothing.

Nothing.  

Really, Jesus? Nothing?

Nothing.

So, what are we to do with that? Well, there is certainly a literal truth to the statement. After all Jesus is the one through whom all things were made and in whom all things hold together, so even our breathing happens within the grip of his grace. But beyond that are we to be suspicious of any confidence we are inclined to have in any area of our lives? Are we to be insecure people lacking self-assurance? Are we to beat ourselves up and take Jesus' statement as a mantra of self-deprecation: "I am nothing. I'm ugly and my momma dresses me funny. Sigh. Slump. Tear." Surely this is not the point of Jesus' statement. Might there be a life-giving paradox in Jesus' assertion? I think so.

Rather than destroying our confidence or view of ourselves, I believe Jesus makes this stark declaration of our incapacity in order to establish our confidence and lift our self-understanding. Jesus has tremendous confidence in us. He believes in us. He wants us to succeed and thinks we can... just not alone. But herein lies the good news, the gospel; we are not alone! Remember the context of Jesus' statement. Jesus is preparing His followers for ministry after His death, resurrection and ascension. He has already told them that they will do the works He does and even greater things than those (14:12); he has promised them that they will receive the Holy Spirit and that they will never be left orphaned (14:15-18); and just before the whole "nothing" thing he promises that we will bear much fruit if we abide in Him (15:5a).  Jesus doesn't want us to expect less of ourselves; He wants us to expect more. He isn't taking shots at our sense of identity; He is elevating our identity in tandem with His!

So, why the "nothing" bit? I think Jesus reminds us our our incapacity so that we will depend on his capacity - fully available and freely offered to us. We are not to settle for what we can accomplish on our own, but are to dream toward and expect far more than that. Like Psalm 127:1 says: Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. But for those who build with the Lord all things are possible.

All things.

I pray that the Lord will build the CityWells, that we will continually remember that apart from Jesus' power, presence, vision and provision we can do nothing. Only when we embrace nothing will we begin to experience the all things Jesus has in mind for us. Can you even imagine what all this might be?

2 comments:

  1. We are committed to praying for CityWells. We will pray for nothingness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers Cameron & Meg! I also pray for nothingness, particularly since I am so often inclined to think in terms of my own somethingness!

    Alex, I am also struck by the power Jesus offers to his followers. Think about the disciples, early in the game, being sent out by Jesus, who in essence just says, "Yeah, you guys go do what I do... yes, all the crazy cool stuff... yes, the miracles and the whole bit." My prayer for nothingness is really a prayer that I won;t settle for what I can do in "my own power" (if such a thing exists). I want to be about the business Jesus sends us out to do... yes the crazy cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete